




Due to a double event can't believe the press list was written in pencil mix up I was not able to attend the Ludacris concert. I've learned that if you want to have fun you have to scout your opportunities and be FLEXIBLE, and while I don't quite mean yoga in this situations dred locks were definitely involved.
While picking up my Friend Jameel of ichantmusic.com in L.A. it was hard not to notice the scores of people filtering in and out of this cement building corner spot at field ave and exposition, directly next to the would be healing center in which Jameel resides. I have to be honest, the music was so thumping and lively I honestly believed it was a metal show. I mentioned that if there was time I would love to check it out. After driving into downtown, being rejected as press and driving back I thought the only way to save the night was to see what this cement haven had to offer.
To my pleasant surprise this cement block was really a "cozy Castle". A nook decorated with draping scarves, hanging orbs a hand built wooden stage and art art art covering every open space on every open wall. The set list showed that bands had been playing steadily since 2 p.m. it was time to see "Grapes 'n' Nuts" preform and people were rolling in. Dred locks, long hair, shaved heads both male and female, costumes, feathers, glitter, vintage, boots, sandals, barefoot, androgyny I was surrounded by my people. The first song was called "flora and fauna" a lyric-less tribute to the worlds plants and animals. Bluesy, jazzy, trance-like bass, and key board seduction there was not a person inside that wasn't dancing swaying or smiling.
In between sets the operators of Cozy Castle kindly ushered out to the parking lot where people sat on the cool cement in circles and got to know each other. I sat with two girls off to the side and we talked about everything whimsical, from dreams to ghosts to the love our lives and then it was time to go back a in to jam again!
No comments:
Post a Comment